Altarena, an award-winning and established theater company based in Alameda, CA, is seeking an artistic director to continue our tradition of excellence and to further develop the theater’s programs. Our inclusive and welcoming atmosphere makes Altarena a great place to go for patrons and a great place to work for artists.
As directed by the board of directors, and in fulfillment of the mission statement of the organization, the artistic director is responsible for providing the leadership for developing and overseeing the creative activities of the theater. In addition, the artistic director is the theater’s ambassador and chief spokesperson, regularly interacting and networking with artists, supporters and the community at large.
Included in the artistic director’s job are the following duties:
- Chooses main season productions
- Develops, implements, and evaluates all artistic programs
- Hires and supervises all show and program directors
- Oversees hiring of all artistic and technical staff
- Creates and adheres to annual production budget; provides oversight to all artistic contractors with budgets and purchasing responsibilities
- Negotiates with publishers and administers royalty contracts
- Attends auditions and coordinates production meetings
- Attends all important theater functions, including opening nights, talkbacks, key rehearsals, fundraisers and donor events
- Contributes to and provides final artistic sign-off on all formal theater communications and marketing collateral, including production programs, brochures, press releases, etc.
- Meets regularly with board president, operations manager, and board of directors
- At least 2 years experience in non-profit theater management
- Proven leadership skills
- Skills in collaboration, team-building, and diplomacy
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to develop and work within a budget
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. This is a part-time position.
Application deadline is April 18, 2017.
Interested candidates should email a detailed cover letter explaining their interest in the position, along with a resume and the names of three references, to email@example.com. No phone calls please.